Aerojet Rocketdyne teamed with the United States Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL), the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) and Boeing on the X-51A Scramjet Engine Demonstrator program, fully achieving the goal in 2013 to demonstrate the first practical hypersonic flight (cruise Mach >5) of a hydrocarbon-fueled and -cooled scramjet-powered cruise vehicle.
Under numerous Government contracts and its own investments, AR has continued to improve the aerothermal performance, affordability, scalability and rapid manufacturability of scramjet engines to meet emerging needs for hypersonic missile and aircraft applications.
Aerojet Rocketdyne is also a leader in solid propellant boost motor development for weapon systems. Having been the provider of the solid boost motors that powered the X-51A to hypersonic flight success, Aerojet Rocketdyne is developing the next generation of mission critical propellants, lightweight and robust motor cases, and improved affordability that will enable US crucial hypersonic boost-cruise and boost-glide missiles for our customers.
Aerojet Rocketdyne is also using its extensive historical expertise in energetic materials development to craft new warhead concepts. These warhead designs adapt the high kinetic energy of hypersonic delivery systems with unique technology to enhance the focused and selective effectiveness of new energetic materials to best meet variable mission needs.
Aerojet Rocketdyne successfully completes tests of subscale OpFires propulsion system as part of a Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) effort to develop a ground-launched hypersonic missile for tactical use.
- June 21, 2021 - Aerojet Rocketdyne’s Innovative Solid Rocket Motor Technology Advances DARPA’s OpFires Hypersonics Program
- Dec. 15, 2020 - Another Aerojet Rocketdyne Hypersonic Engine Makes History
- July 21, 2020 - Aerojet Rocketdyne Achieves Another Milestone on DARPA OpFires Program
- Feb. 10, 2020 - DARPA Selects Aerojet Rocketdyne to Develop Propulsion Technology for the Hypersonic Defense Program Glide Breaker
- Dec. 17, 2019 - Aerojet Rocketdyne Selected to Provide Solid Rocket Motor for Lockheed Martin Hypersonic Conventional Strike Weapon
- Dec. 03, 2019 - Aerojet Rocketdyne Achieves Milestone on DARPA OpFires Program - Video of test firing here.
- Oct. 02, 2019 - Missile Defense Agency Selects Aerojet Rocketdyne to Mature Hypersonic Defense Component Technology
- Dec. 11, 2018 - Aerojet Rocketdyne Awarded DARPA Contract to Design Advanced OpFires Propulsion System
- Oct. 08, 2018 - Aerojet Rocketdyne Successfully Tests Hypersonic DMRJ Engine
- Aug. 06, 2018 - Aerojet Rocketdyne Boosters Complete Simulated Air-Launch Tests
- Oct. 09, 2017 - DARPA Awards Aerojet Rocketdyne Contract to Develop Hypersonic Advanced Full Range Engine
- Dec. 4, 2014 - Two Aerojet Rocketdyne Programs Recognized for Outstanding Performance at Aerospace & Defense Conference
- Sept. 19, 2013 - Aerojet Rocketdyne Receives John R. Alison Award for Record-Breaking Flight of the X-51A WaveRider Scramjet
- Aug. 10, 2010 - Lockheed Martin Hypersonic ATACMS Motor Boosts Experimental Scramjet in First Flight